The amount of data internet users create is staggering. In one day, users generate 2.5 quintillion bytes of data.
And companies are starting to monopolize on this data. Netflix, for example, is starting to use all of the data they acquire to retain customers—to the tune of $1 billion annually.
But what happens when there’s just too much data to sift through and store? Enter “big data technology.” There’s no way we can mine through all of this data to find usable information on our own anymore; there’s just too much. However, we can use big data analytic software to do it for us.
This software requires lots of storage capacity to provide instant analytics, and the best way to handle all of this storage is undoubtedly in the cloud. Where else can you find the flexibility to store what you need and access it nonstop?
Ninety percent of all data was created in the last two years. And it’s only going to continue to grow. Are you prepared to process that data? How can cloud big data technology work for you? Let’s take a closer look.
What Does “Big Data Technology” Even Mean?
You’ve probably heard lots of talk about this popular buzzword, “big data technology,” but what does that really entail? What are the specifics that make big data technology so popular right now?
Big data technology refers to software utilities that can analyze, process and extract information from a large, complex data circuit. The benefit of this is that you have access to functions that aren’t available with smaller processing software options. Simply put, big data refers to storing, managing and analyzing using traditional systems.
Traditional data processing software just can’t keep up with big data technology; it never could do what big data technology can do, including processing real-time data. It includes things like:
- Data storage.
- A computing platform.
- Data mining.
- Data analytics.
- Data visualization.
What does this actually mean? There are two branches of big data technology that can be broken down like this:
- Operational big data technology: This is the day-to-day data we encounter, things like information gathered from social media, ticket booking, online shopping and data from organizations.
- Analytical big data technology: This is an even more advanced version of operational big data technology. It refers to real-time decisions that are made by analyzing information from operational big data technologies. It can include buying and selling in the stock market, collecting weather forecast information, monitoring patient health, and even carrying out a mission in space on a spaceship.
What Big Data Technologies Can Mean For You
Big or small, no matter the size of your business, you can benefit from big data to make data-driven decisions, store information and analyze information. What could utilizing big data technologies do for you?
- Save money: You can use big data technology to analyze your costs and compare them to competitors. Locate oversight and cut down on overspending using the data you acquire to make adjustments.
- Increase efficiency: More access to better data means you can work more efficiently towards your goals, saving you time and effort in the process.
- Compete with larger businesses: When your business practices are more sophisticated, it puts you on a more even playing field with larger businesses. You have access to tools many smaller companies don’t have, which gives you more advanced capabilities.
- Stay local: With big data, you actually have a leg up on bigger national chains: You can access local data and cater to your neighbors. Zero in on your local clients’ preferences, and provide a personal touch the larger competition could only dream about.
- Increase customer sales and loyalty: You can tap into information your customers leave behind when they make a purchase by using their “digital footprint” to tailor the products and services you offer them to their exact needs. Gain insight into what your potential clients and customers prefer, and market to them.
Why Cloud Based Is the Only Option for Big Data Technology
One of the reasons big data technology can do so much is that there is access to lots of storage. While many large companies might have servers and other hardware to handle all of this storage, we’re talking about hundreds of terabytes’—sometimes even petabytes’—worth of storage. You shouldn’t have to handle all of that with oversized hardware.
Traditional databases are just too inflexible—and frequently too cost inefficient—to handle this much data at such a high velocity. There’s no way they can handle what big data handles. When you pair this power with the cloud, you also get a scalable support system that can process volumes at a cost and size that works for you.
Cloud computing means you have constant access to data storage and processing on your own flexible terms. Your data systems might be growing exponentially—or you might need something smaller. You need a big data technology system that can keep up, fit your budget and work for you no matter what.
How Violin Systems Can Help
At Violin Systems, we understand that if you aren’t taking advantage of every possible opportunity, you’re falling behind, which is why we are proud to provide big data analytics so that you can better meet the needs of your customers, find your place in your market and revolutionize your internal operations.
You get access to more information faster, with hundreds of terabytes at your disposal. And with our Flash storage system, you have faster turnaround times, which means you can implement all of these analytics much more quickly.
With Violin Systems, you get the expertise and the cloud infrastructure to ensure your cloud big data technologies are secure and can scale to fit your needs and budget.
What you get with Violin Systems is the perfect blend of storage systems and analytics. Whether you need the Violin QV2020 for real-time data processing and low latency or extra storage to handle the increase in data queries each day, we have the right match for you.